Illegal suspension rulings for Babol University students
Student sources told International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran that following a March gathering to protest the sentences of Babol’s Noshirvani Industrial University students and to send off fellow students Iman Sedighi and Mohsen Barzegar to prison, the university’s Disciplinary Committee has issued unexpectedly heavy sentences for five students and the rulings have illegally gone into implementation. These students’ charge is participation in a spontaneous gathering to see their friends off to prison. Iman Sedighi, former Political Secretary of the University’s Islamic Association and Mohsen Barzegar, former Cultural Secretary of the Islamic Association, were each sentenced to ten months in prison and one year’s deprivation of education in March.
The said sources reported that the five students have been barred from entering the university campus by Mr. Ghorbani, Head of university in addition to receiving sentences from the Disciplinary Committee. This means that they will not be able to attend in person in order to file formal objections to the Disciplinary Committee’s decision. Therefore their sentences have already become implemented even though according to policy, they are entitled to an appeals process before the final decision is carried out.
According to this report the following rulings have been issued:
– Jalaleddin Sadeghi, One term’s deprivation of education, included in the total years-to-complete calculation.
– Mohammad Asgari, One term’s deprivation of education, included in the total years-to-complete calculation.
– Moeen Eslami Jam (Secretary to the predecessor Islamic Association organization), one term’s deprivation of education, included in the total years-to-complete calculation.
– Farshid Sattarifar, One term’s deprivation of education, included in the total years-to-complete calculation.
– Mohammad Elmi (former member of university Islamic Association’s Central Council), one term’s deprivation of education, excluded in the total years-to-complete calculation.